The Newport Grange (formally called ‘The Old Rectory’) goes back more than 300 years. Here are some documents from before the 1900’s that describe facts about the Old Rectory.
(presumably written by Geroge Owen of Henllys)
“The personage and glebe.
And to the saide rectorie there is a personage howse, being halfe a myle owte of the towne, which is called the Coorte, and to the same there is belonging faire gleebe landes but ye house, stables, bames and other buildings and ruinowse and decayed.”
From Miles, The Ancient Borough of Newport in Pembrokeshire, 1995)
A terrier, or ‘Plan of the Glebe Lands belonging to Newport Church’ of 1772 gives The court as situated ‘in a field at the extreme south-west corner of the Glebe’.
Evan Jones ( A historical sketch of Newport, Pembrokeshire 1890 Solva) states that “the buildings were afterwards taken down and re-erected in the more convenient situation which they now occupy”.
Llewelyn Lloyd Thomas, a native of Pencarreg, in Carmarthenshire, was presented by Mary Lloyd in 1824 and he was to hold the living for 51 years. He was succeeded by Evan Jones, also a native of Pencarreg. One of his tasks was to renovate the church and The Court, where he added a cowshed and a cart-house to the existing buildings.
From Lloyd et al, The Buildings of Wales, Pembrokeshire 2004
A puzzling house, it’s pedimental lunette typical of c.1800. Rear additions of 1871 by E. M. Goodwin. Between service range and house at first-floor level a small, late medieval segmental-pointed door-hear on rough corbels.
Observations of Alfryn Evans of Trewreiddig fach, retired farmer, now of West End. Dinas.
From 1944 Alfyn farmed the fields which once belonged to the Old Rectory. The land was called Tir Y Cwrt but he never knew of any field names except field no 293 which was called Yr Wrglo. This local vernacular, welsh for Yr Weirglodd, a hay meadow of which there are many occurrences in the neighbourhood.
Several of the hedges on the 1920 survey have been grubbed out. Namely the hedge dividing field no 946 into two; the hedge being the boundary between field 946 and field 949 and finally the hedge being the boundary between field 948 and field 947.
A well at the westernmost end of the field no 307 has dried up as a consequence of Alfyn’s drainage of the field no 294, the water actually used to run up the field to the well. A watercourse runs northwards down the hedge at the western end of the field no 944 ending in pistyll. The odd stone structure to the southern edge of the attached cottage was probably a place for keeping a dog or perhaps geese.
Alfryn recalls some stone remains in the middle of the eastern part of field 949, which he thought was the remains of the previous rectory. These stones were surrounded by further stone remains, perhaps the boundary of a garden around the house. All the stones have been removed from the site. Access to the previous rectory was via a footpath at the western end of the rectory fields. (Today the right of way besides Hendre Farm.)
Comment: it would be useful to visit the Royal Commission on the ancient and Historical Monuments, at Aberystwyth to examine their aerial photographs of the area. A metal detection might be rather interesting.
Previous rectors, known to Mr and Mrs Alfyn and Dilys Evans.
Canon D.G Phillips.
E. Jeffrey Jones (1938-46) who married the sister of Mrs Dr David Havard (younger).
Archdecon J. Owen Jenkins (1961-67)
Rector David Thomas Evans, short stay (1968-72), died 1973.
Rector Thomas, too much of a farmer.
Rector M. M. Griffiths. (1973-
The rectors farmed the lands themselves.
Previous rectors recorded by Evan Jones took from Episcopal Acts Book:
1638 William Willyams
1672 Daniel Gwyn
—- John Bolton
1714 James Williams
1735 William Laugharne
1759 Watkin Lewes
1770 David Pugh
1817 John Jones
1834 Llewellyn Lloyd Thomas
1875 Evan Jones
Completed by Dr Reginald Davies, 27 Prices Avenue, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, SM5 4NZ in September 2007.